S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

2nd gear grind

Old 06-14-2004, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd gear grind

when shifting into 2nd gear, i have had a problem with the gears grinding. im completely sure that i have the clutch mashed all the way to the floor when it happens. is anyone experiencing this problem and is there something i should check? btw my s2000 is a 2002 with 14k miles on it.
thanks and i apologize if this is a repeatitive post :)
Old 06-14-2004, 05:48 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Try changing your tranny fluid and clutch fluid. You might want to try a different fluid other than the OEM stuff. Some people have noted that a different fluid works better for their driving characteristics. I've always had good luck with the OEM (Honda MTF). Even still, I will occasionally get a grind if the tranny is hot and if I'm not paying full attention to my shifting technique.
More stuff to look at:
Where does your clutch begin to grab? If it's too close to the floor, this may have some adverse affects on high rpm fast shifting. It can be adjusted slightly at the pedal.
Concentrate on how you are pulling on the stick. Keep the stick forced to the left up against the side rail all the way down. There is a slight "detent" just before the tranny actually goes into 2nd. Try to allow the tranny a momentary delay (split second) rather than ramming it down in one sudden motion.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Change the fluid as xviper said and you should be okay. If that dosen't help start looking into syncro problems. They seem to have similar characteristics from all the post I've read here on S2KI. If it happens at random good chance it's fluid but if it happens all the time and it can be recreated then it might be your syncro which is covered by warranty in most case's
I took the Spoon ideal and placed a wrist band over the tranny cap just help keep the dirt out. Just a TIP for you
Old 06-15-2004, 06:22 AM

Finally an explanation I could find. Thanks for asking the question.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:59 AM

I've found that I have to either double-clutch (and it shifts like butter) or stab the clutch pedal as quickly and as hard as I can. The first method is bothersome, but always gives me a smooth shift causing no damage. The second method just takes a bit of thought, but I wonder if I'm going to blow a line one day by the sudden push of fluid. But it seems to work. Into third, just a bit of waiting and she goes in. Anyway, try stabbing the pedal into second and see if it works for you. Took me three years to come up with this by the way.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:34 PM

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...highlight=grind
Old 06-15-2004, 01:26 PM

so is grinding a pretty common issue with s2ks?
Old 06-15-2004, 01:29 PM

doh, didn't realize you can't edit posts but I meant to add I thought the 02 models had tranny changes that were suppossed to smooth out these issues. Also is the synchro issue with all years? I have a specv, horrible shifting/grinding from factory, replaced with synchromesh a while ago and its been but not great. I read before on here that synchromesh isn't good for s2ks but redline is.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:06 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by S2kenvy
doh, didn't realize you can't edit posts
But you can. Use that "edit" button at the top right of your post.
Old 06-15-2004, 05:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I forgot to mention above one other possible cause. A while back when I posted about this same topic, someone told me they had the same issue's and it was related to the master cylnder and some sort of hydrolic problem.

Quick Reply: 2nd gear grind