S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Blackstone Labs Summary Analysis: Mobil 1

Old 06-06-2004, 12:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Blackstone Labs Summary Analysis: Mobil 1

This was posted at BITOG, and is a valuable service to us all.
Old 06-06-2004, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Road Rage
This was posted at BITOG, and is a valuable service to us all.

And it would be a valuable service to those of us who don't have a clue what all that means if you would be so kind as to provide an explanation.

Thanks
Old 06-06-2004, 04:41 PM

Moly is a friction reducer and anti-wear additive
Boron can be used in various ways, generally also as a FR and AW -This is based on the intricate crystal lattice structure of hydrated boron molecules. It's lattice structure allows the layers of hydrated boron particles to slide virtually friction-free over each other.
Silicon is actually silicone which is an anti-foam additive
Calcium is a buffer used to offsent acidity, and as a friction modifier
Phosphorous and zinc are your primary anti-wear additives. Phosphorous is usually added at about 80% of the level of zinc. Note that these are levels for SL-rated oils, and are much lower than previous SH levels (for the benefit of the mfr). There have been sulfonates added to bolster the tradition Zinc/Phos mix, but some oil compoanies (like Red Line and Lubrication Engineers) have not rushed in to the SL-game.
SUS stands for Sayboldt Universal Seconds, a measure of viscosity - note that there are target vis levels set by the API, within a range for each weight (20,30,40,50) Mobil tends to formulate at the low end of the range.
Flash point is the temperature that will light off an oil vapor - generally the higher the better, as it is a good indicator of the oil's ability to resist vaporization when it hits the hottest areas of the engine, such as upper rings and cylinder walls.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:51 PM

RR,
My interpretation of other postings you have made is that Mobil 1 was a, for lack of a better word, decent choice. Is there anything you see in this new data that would lead you to change your opinion? My humble apologies if I am lacking in interpretive skills.

Old 06-06-2004, 10:02 PM

these numbers must be really reliable?
Old 06-07-2004, 02:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's my last report from Blackstone for comparison (fuel dilution likely due to cold starts in winter to move car without warming up):

Old 06-07-2004, 08:11 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Subscribing!

As a user of M1, I'm curious as to the opinions after analysis.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:12 AM

I have checked my oil many times and i use mobil one.....always comes back perfect. Fuel dilution is normal for a gas engine.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:34 PM

I am confused about the SUS Viscosity at 210 deg. The virgin oil analysis for 10/30 oil posted by BITOG - analysis was done by Blackstone showed as 58.3. Jguerdat's oil was very close to this after 8K miles.

But jguerdat's chart says that the viscosity for his oil should be between 59 and 68. Is 59-68 the normal range for 10/30 oil and Mobile 1's viscosity runs lower than the normal. Seems like RoadRage has mentioned that Mobile 1's viscosities run on the low side.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:42 PM

It is likely the result of a variance in the tecnician doing the test, or how long the sample oil flow was running before it was taken. Mobil1 is usually rather low on the SUS scale, but nitpicking about a few points is meaningless when one accounts for the variables of sampling and analysis.

I am impressed by the 0w40 - esp the very high flash point. That could be a great all-season oil for people in cold and hot climates. Delvac1 5w40 still gets the nod for longevity and POM for longer OCI's.

Quick Reply: Blackstone Labs Summary Analysis: Mobil 1