S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Made the switch to synthetic today

Old 03-20-2004, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Made the switch to synthetic today

Car: 2003 S2k
Mileage: 7750

Background:

I've been an avid Mobil-1 user on my previous car, and had been planning to make the switch over for this second oil change. But I've been talking to my buddy in Sacramento who is an avid racer and use to build and compete in the AMA bike series, and he's been a good source of technical information. He recommended I give the following oil a try.

Castrol Syntec - the one to look for is the one that says "Made in Germany" on the back - not the domestic "Made in USA" one.

I've only been able to find it in Autozone stores, and it runs around $5 a quart.

My buddy runs Oil Analysis on my engine and the German Castrol
showed reduced wear levels when compared to Mobil-1. It seems to be better than the Mobil-1 at this time.

Another one that I wanted to try is Mobil 1R. It is a product of their racing development and is the best of the current stuff. You can order it here for around $7/qt. http://store.avlube.com/index.html

I also added Oil Extreme Concentrate this time and I will update you guys on my impressions on the S2k.
On my old C we added the Oil Extreme while my car was strapped to the dyno and after running the motor for a few minutes to circulate the OL we made a dyno run. It was an average of 8Hp all the way through. It sounds like an other Snake oil and I have tried most of them and this is the only stuff I have seen any results out of. You use 2oz. per qt. the first time and then 1oz. per qt. for subsequent treatments.

I order it direct from them. In fact, the guy who owns the company was the one who started American Honda in the 50s. Oil Extreme Concentrate

I'll keep you posted on my impressions.
Old 03-20-2004, 06:41 PM

Mobil 1 SuperSynth for me.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:01 PM

Good grief! It's smart to be aware of the importance of good oil (and to watch your oil level), but don't you think you guys are a little obsessive about a car that comes from the factory with dino oil? And what, exactly, is this oil analysis your buddy did on your engine, Luwin? And by the way, about that 8 hp claim: are you claiming that from an oil additive? Snake oil, indeed!
Old 03-20-2004, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by paul1948
Good grief! It's smart to be aware of the importance of good oil (and to watch your oil level), but don't you think you guys are a little obsessive about a car that comes from the factory with dino oil? And what, exactly, is this oil analysis your buddy did on your engine, Luwin? And by the way, about that 8 hp claim: are you claiming that from an oil additive? Snake oil, indeed!

As long as you change your oil regularly and use a decent oil like Castrol GTX, the F20C will most likely go a few hundred thousand miles and never have a problem caused by the type of oil used. No disrespect towards those that use Mobil 1 or Royal Purple or Motul or any other overpriced oil, but there really isn't much point in it if you're a) going to change it every 3,000 miles or b) not going to flog the crap out of the car every weekend at the track. I seriously doubt that many of the current S2000 owners will ever rack up enough miles to see the benefits of reduced wear from using synthetic motor oil. I put 204,000 miles on my CRX and 145,000 on my Prelude and used nothing but Castrol GTX and Honda filters. Both cars ran perfect the day they were sold.
Old 03-21-2004, 04:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 03-21-2004, 05:04 AM

Im going Mobil1 synthetic the way i look at it, if its good enough for Porsche vehicles right from the factory, its good enough for my S
Old 03-21-2004, 05:27 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Destiny2002
I don't agree that using dino oil is all one needs for the S2000.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:35 AM

Because of our high reving engines, I went with Mobil1 after some research. I don't think you could go wrong.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:49 AM

Castrol is garbage.......Mobil 1 is where it's at.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:52 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

After much research and reading of the posts of Road Rage I'm doing a complete synthetic fluids change @ 5000 miles.I'll be using Redline products only because of my access to this product. I also have access to Royal Purple but the feed-back on their products don't seem to be as positive.

Engine,tranny,and diff will get these changes and will all be changed again in 5000 mile increments.

Quick Reply: Made the switch to synthetic today