UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

S or Skyline

Old 02-03-2004, 02:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S or Skyline

Hello,

im just wondering if any1 in here has or has had a skyline? r33 preferably. ive got a friend who also wants an S like i do but is leaning towards a skyline lately. i they are much cheaper to buy than an S and there more powerfull and practical but from what i know maintenance and getting parts is very expensive?
Feel free to share your views as i would like to know your thoughts as you already have an S and i dont
Old 02-03-2004, 03:00 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by Pontio
they are much cheaper to buy than an S and there more powerfull and practical but from what i know maintenance and getting parts is very expensive?
There was a thread on here about Skylines a while back. I think that the consensus was that they cost a fortune to run.

If you do a search you should be able to find the thread.
Old 02-03-2004, 03:22 AM

Have never owned or driven a Skyline but the bottom line for me is that the S is rag top.

You just can't beat dropping the top in summer

EDIT: or if your like most of the nutters on here you'll be dropping the top in any weather!!!
Old 02-03-2004, 03:29 AM

My first-hand experience of Skylines is limited to having spent a half-hour talking to a guy at a track day who pitched up in his heavily-modded 500bhp example and peering under the bonnet at all the stuff he had done to it

You're trying to compare two very different cars, IMO. The Skyline will be much easier to mod and can be driven quite hard all year round. The S is a very different beast - it's much harder to extract any meaningful power increases from if you're into modding. Forced induction is an alternative, but it would almost certainly mean you would then need to uprate other bits to deal with the extra power/torque.

The Skyline is hugely competent (if rather bland-looking - although less so than a Scooby or Evo, I guess) but it's not really obviously comparable with the S2000.

(I'm also with Steve - I'd miss being able to drop the roof)
Old 02-03-2004, 03:44 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Turner
My first-hand experience of Skylines is limited to having spent a half-hour talking to a guy at a track day who pitched up in his heavily-modded 500bhp example and peering under the bonnet at all the stuff he had done to it

You're trying to compare two very different cars, IMO. The Skyline will be much easier to mod and can be driven quite hard all year round. The S is a very different beast - it's much harder to extract any meaningful power increases from if you're into modding. Forced induction is an alternative, but it would almost certainly mean you would then need to uprate other bits to deal with the extra power/torque.

The Skyline is hugely competent (if rather bland-looking - although less so than a Scooby or Evo, I guess) but it's not really obviously comparable with the S2000.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:00 AM

rralston - Have you had a go in the FQ-330 yet?
Old 02-03-2004, 04:06 AM

S
Old 02-03-2004, 04:07 AM

Originally posted by Steve54
rralston - Have you had a go in the FQ-330 yet?
I haven't but I'm glad you reminded me Dealer hasn't rung back yet
Old 02-03-2004, 04:11 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. i see the cost of running those things is mentioned a lot. he, as i am not bothered much about the cabrio. i would be just as happy with a sunroof to be honest. its just the fact that the skylines are so cheap to buy and are faster and more easly modable i guess. i had a think about for a minute myself i guess but, :-S i think the S is still more unique..
Old 02-03-2004, 04:26 AM

It's apples and oranges really imo.

I've had both an R33 GTR, and very recently an S - and they're essentially two different beasts. The easiest way to condense the argument is to say that the S is a true sportscar and - importantly for some - a convertible. If all you are really concerned about is raw speed, and can handle the maintainance bills then I can highly recommend a Skyline.

If you want drop dead sexy looks, a convertible for the summer which is also a potent (and fast) car in its own right - go for the S.

The S, above all else, will be a lot cheaper to maintain. GTR service intervals are 6000 miles, with most owners opting for as little as 3k intervals/oil changes. Since there is only one official Nissan Skyline dealer in the UK (Middlehurst) you either take the car to them for servicing, or take it to random non-Nissan tuners. It's very easy to get burnt by cowboy tuners (I know from personal experience) and the costs of tuning and servicing with any of them often run into

Quick Reply: S or Skyline