S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Drive ending in me hanging upside down

Old 01-10-2004, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive ending in me hanging upside down

Hey guys,

Well i have had my car for four months now and have loved every moment of it until this afternoon. I dropped my friend off at his house and decided the sun was shining why not take the scenic route, a decision I'm sure many of has made. This decision was the one that may cost me my car. It was a windy road i came around a turn and saw a patch of ice tried to stop but couldn't went through the ice got about halfway through and my car started to lose the back end, and it began to slide out. When that happened i counter-steered, which didn't work as i had slid almost totaly side ways for about 20 feet. I started to run out of room so I decided to brake and slow down for the impact. My front end smashed the embankment went up on the bank which caused the car to roll on the roof. The airbags never deployed and the car was sitting in the middle of the road balanced upon the front winshield bar and the front of the hood, the rear end was suspended about five feet above the pavment and the rear roll hoops weren't touching the ground at all. My car stopped on its roof, i then proceeded to open the door bending the window in a little so the door wasn't all the way open so i put my hand down and unclipped my self dropping me on the roof i crawled out and scraped my knee doing so. the scrape is the absolute only cut on me. God blessed me that i was the only one in my car also that no one is on the road and also that i am still alive. I will post my pics if some one could tell me how . I hope that every one can learn a lesson or two form this ax i have leanred many already. Everyone please drive safe!
Old 01-10-2004, 08:27 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Oh man!
Old 01-10-2004, 08:53 PM

God did bless you indeed. I try to keep myself safe by saying a small and silent prayer when I get in my car every time. Scary situation you found yourself in, looks like the S held itself up pretty good by keeping you safe even after being upside down.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no air bags wtf?? they need to be more sensitive i think.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:29 PM

Wow, sorry to hear. Glad to see that you're okay though, cars could be replaced.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:01 PM

Can some one help me out wiht the pics please i want to get them up so you all can see what happened im really wondering if there was some kind of fault that the air bags did not deploy
Old 01-10-2004, 10:10 PM

Glad to see you're ok. The roads have been like that here in NC also, so I've just kept the S2K in the Garage for the past week.
Old 01-10-2004, 11:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can email the pics to me and I'll post them for you.

bangmahcak@yahoo.com
Old 01-11-2004, 12:58 AM

Originally posted by kkyntmoon
no air bags wtf?? they need to be more sensitive i think.
Why should airbags have gone off if he didn't get hurt? Airbags are set to deploy in severe frontal collisions. Having them deploy when they would not save injury will only lead to 1)injuries from airbag ranging from chemical burns to broken arms, 2)airbag no longer being armed for possible major secondary hit, and 3)higher insurance costs due to these injuries and replacement of the $$$$ airbags themselves.

For side, rear, rollover, and minor frontal impacts, a well designed seatbelt system with emergency pretensioners (as the S2000 has) is still the best solution. When you hear of an accident in which airbags did not deploy, your first question should not be wtf? but rather were you okay? That's the *only* thing that matters.

For white_S2000@16, I'm really sorry to hear what happened but very glad to hear you were able to walk away. Cars can be replaced, but you can't. At least be thankful for that.

Peter
Old 01-11-2004, 01:46 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Glad you are OK, looking forward to the photos

Quick Reply: Drive ending in me hanging upside down