S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2K owner goes RX-8

Old 12-27-2003, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well.. not really.

I got rid of my POS Ford Explorer SporTrac 2001 (black) 24k miles for an '04 Blue RX-8

(Pics)
http://lonestar.texas.net/~amartin/rx8/

So, I thought I'd make a few comments after owning it for a few days..

First-- I still have my '02 Silver S2K, and, of course.. love it.

I actually LOVED the Titanium RX-8, but having 2 cars silver, just didn't seem right (I might have well had bought a hard-top for the S2K if I went for the Silver RX-8 imho).

Ok-- on with the goodies:

Acceleration is VERY similar (The S2K is marginally faster, I'm buying the ECU mod to add 25rwhp to the RX-8 which should put both cars into a 'whos the better driver' performance level).

The RX-8 "beeps" at around 8500 RPM with a 9000rpm redline, and 9500 fuel-cut-off (rev-limiter).

Its flat out "WEIRD" to accelerate... the feeling is very 'neutral' regardless of RPM (for the most part). It seems to pull as hard at 5500rpms as it does at 8500 rpms. Go figure.

I find myself speeding a LOT more in the RX-8, its extreemly quiet, and being a hard-top + windows up, you don't have the exhaust noise+wind to let you know how fast your really going.

As far as handling goes-- I have no idea. Its got 18s (they all do), but this is my 'beater' so I really have no intention to auto-x the car. It does have "DSC" -- Dynamic Stability Control + traction control, which is kind of cool if your GF is goign to drive it-- breaks the appropriate wheel(s) if you get on it (for example aroudn a corner) to maintain control.

Has built-in tire pressure monitoring..which is really goofy imho--sometimes I WANT to run low pressure for certain auto-x things.. oh--wait, I'm not Auto-Xing this..so thats a good feature :-) (but If I was, it would be annoying).

Interior is nice...clean, well laid out, etc.. HOWEVER, the Stereo unit is 'combined' with the thermostat controls, and all the other various controls... clock..etc.. Which means changing to a custom stereo is a MAJOR ASS PAIN. If you want to make a boom'er stereo outta this thing (or really, just change to a different head-unit), and figure it out-- let me know. Cuz it looks like your pretty much stuck with the stock head unit.

Anyway, after the ECU mod arrives (late Jan), I'm going to have The Captain (Kirk) take my S2K and give me a few races to see how we do. All in all, 'stock' the S2K is faster IMHO... I not surpsied-- 238 vs. 240 hp but ~300-350lbs heavier. Handling I have to give to my S2K (of course, I'm running R-compound on the S2K but still.. I think the S2K would out corner the RX-8).

Nice/Cute little car. Nothing 'bad' to say about it except that RX8Club.com has like... a zillion total noobies asking the same stuff we did here, about 2.5 years ago.. which is a little 'annoying'.. like "Whats the best wax"... "Whats faster, 350z or xxxx".. etc..

I guess I can always come here for a sound piece of advice :-) Ohh-- another reason I got the blue-- I REALLY wanted the Japanesse version of the S2K in Montecarlo Blue that never arrived.. Guess this is my way of saying, "Hey Honda.. bring the freaking blue over!"

-- Aaron
Old 12-27-2003, 03:48 PM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice write up. Thank you.
Old 12-27-2003, 03:50 PM

Ohh..fyi..big thread on RX8club.com about s2k vs. rx8.. I wrote a 'review' myself:

http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?s=&t...15&pagenumber=8

..page 8.

IMHO.. bunch of people (like ALLLLLL of us..) proud of their cars.. that think "we" are the fastest, badest, best-handing, etc.. yadda-yadda. Can't blame people for being proud, espeically after dropping 25k+, right? nah.. me either :-)

Go to any xxxClub.com, and I gurantee you xxx is the best, fastest out there :-) Its all good :-)

-- Aaron
Old 12-27-2003, 03:56 PM

Oh-- one other thing... if you don't have the 33k for a S2K, or more.. for that matter-- Mazda South (in Austin, TX) is having some AMAZING deals on SP-1 (Sport Package, non-leather, no Bose Stereo, no Nav system no moon roof, no leather, but everything else... 18' rims, 6 speed, xenon heal-lights, blah-blah) RX-8's. Ideally you can walk out for around ~26.5k (versus 28.3 msrp, and u can negotiate obsiouvly) for an RX-8. Thats NOT BAD for an '04 with 50k/4 yr warranty...

And, I want to say, I had an AWESOME, no bullshvt experience there.. good people, good service, no fvcking around.

Ask for Patric, let 'em know Aaron sent ya.

-- Aaron
Old 12-27-2003, 04:10 PM

I had a chance to hammer an 8. Nice car. Quiet. Good purchase. How's your fuel economy?
Old 12-27-2003, 04:44 PM

I agree with what you said in your other post completely...these cars are no where near in the same category, and therefore should not really be compared....its like comparing a Z06 to a miata (ok thats a little extreme)....very different beasts. It is a nice car, but IMO not a true sports car....Traction Control, Heated Seats, 4 seats, 4 doors....thats not what sports car says in my book! Congrats on the purchase, and drive safe!
Old 12-27-2003, 04:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

overall, very nice car.
i liked it when i test drove it.
got pretty much the exact same impression.

what do you think of its mpg?
Old 12-27-2003, 06:07 PM

I've got about 100miles on it so far... 1/2 tank left so far.. so, I have NO clue about MPG.. but honestly...do any of us buy a "sports" car for fuel ecomony?

Might as well ask about my tread wear :-)

Its fun... easy as that!

Perfect?? Nah..but what is.. okay, A F-40... or 911 Twin Turbo.. MIGHT qualify as perfect..

-- Aaron
Old 12-27-2003, 06:13 PM

The RX-8 is a nice looking car I like the rear seats and the lil doors!!
Old 12-27-2003, 06:39 PM

Originally posted by seung
overall, very nice car.
i liked it when i test drove it.
got pretty much the exact same impression.

what do you think of its mpg?

Funny you asked that question. Read enough posts on rx8club.com that RX8 is yielding less than advertised MPG as well. Someone was posting 13-15mpg.

Quick Reply: S2K owner goes RX-8