S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil analysis (crankcase) from S/C'd car.

Old 08-22-2003, 09:34 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Here is the report I just got back for the lab:

Note the higher Silicone content. This may be due to the silicone based gasket maker I used to re-install the oil pan at the time of the S/C installation.
Also note the higher levels of aluminum. I'm a little perplexed by this number as I've always thought that the metal to metal wear points were NOT made of aluminum.

This is the first service interval of the Mobil 1 10W30 oil after the Vortech install. I do not drive my car hard all the time but I don't baby it either. My driving conditions during this interval was mostly within the city with a couple of group drives out into the country. I was using a Purolator Pure 1 filter. There was very little oil consumption during this time period, perhaps a total of no more than 1/2 liter over the 5000 KMs (3000 miles).
All in all, I'm satisfied that my engine is doing well under the FI conditions.
The car also has the 4.44 gears and a Neuspeed cat back (should this be relavent).
Thanks to "FormerH22a4" for providing me with the sample kit. And I invite him to post his results here as a comparison to a car that has been much more carefully driven and in stock configuration.

EDIT ...... NOTE: I should have mentioned that the column headed by "CURRENT" is for my oil. The previous 2 "dated" columns are for Former's previous samples. I used his account ID and that's why my results are published with his.
Old 08-22-2003, 09:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info!

I would not fret over the aluminum - note that the baseline low and high points are orders of magnitude higher than the other metals. One reason is that being soft, aluminum will tend to bleed into the oil quickly.

The silicone is likely from what you said - the leechinof of silicone oil from the pan sealant into the oil - I have seen that before. Also, silicones may be higher than base oil since they help redcue foaming at high revs - just like DiGel for peeps.
Old 08-22-2003, 09:55 AM

Road Rage, I was hoping you'd see this and comment.
Thanks.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:01 AM

I've just made an additional EDIT at the bottom of my original post.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any recommendations on oil analysis kits? something I can order online?

I've still got the "break-in" oil, so we might as well answer once and for all if it's got ultra-high levels of Moly, Zinc dithiophosphates, pixie dust or what-have-you. doing an oil analysis of the first oil change probably isn't going to do me a whole lotta good, since it'll likely show extreme wear due to the motor being broken in, but if the price is fair enough, I'll fork out to know what Honda engineers felt were important ingredients for the break-in oil.

I'm in the US, so I'm not sure if I can use the same company as xviper.

EDIT: Sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread xv-- I just remember you wondering this question in this thread. I'll post the question there too.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:36 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tritium_pie
[B]any recommendations on oil analysis kits?
Old 08-22-2003, 12:42 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
[B]
No problem.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:51 PM

blackstone-labs.com it is then.

funny thing, on their order form they ask "How did you hear about us?" and I was about to select "Other" when what did I see but "Honda S2000 Club". guess we're kinda well known there, huh?

EDIT: the only bummer is that since I've already seen a bit of oil consumption, I've had to put in about 1/2 a bottle of Chevron oil and I may have to put the rest of the bottle in by the time I reach 7500 miles. it'll distort the results somewhat, but since it's a small amount compared to the total amount of oil in the car, we should still be able to see if there are any extra-high levels of anti-wear compounds.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by xviper
Here is the report I just got back for the lab:
And here's mine from Blackstone a few months ago:

It's interesting to note that I was going for extended oil changes and some of the numbers (iron, f'rinstance) are about double your numbers with ~2x your mileage (I hope your distances are miles and not km - if so, all bets are off) while others are essentially the same or significantly lower. I've used Mobil 1 10W30 and Honda oil filters, changing the filter during the extended use (usually arounf 5k miles). I also use a couple of quarts of oil during this extended period.

Comments?
Old 08-22-2003, 02:52 PM

Mine's in KMs.
ie. 5000 KMs or 3000 miles.
Looking at your chart, mine and Former's (1st 2 columns in my chart), they seem fairly comparable except for my higher aluminum and silicone numbers. And both of these have been explained and not anything to be concerned about.

Quick Reply: Oil analysis (crankcase) from S/C'd car.