S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Differential Fluid comparison and analysis - old vs new, Mobil 1 vs Redline.

Old 08-05-2003, 02:16 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

"krazik" has sent me some "courtesy" Redline Shockproof synthetic gear oil to try out and give my evaluation. Little did he know what he was getting his product into. This thread will be ongoing and will span several months, so if you are interested, just subscribe to it and you'll see new information as it comes.
Today, I changed out the Mobil 1 synthetic 75W90 gear oil that I've been using quite happily since year one. I put in the Redline and will report on that later.
I thought I'd take the opportunity to show you what it looks like before and after being in the casing for a while. And thanks to "FormerH22a4", who gave me several oil analysis kits, I will be sending the old diff fluid to get done very soon. I shall post those numbers when I get them back.

I'm not going to go into the actual diff fluid change. You can see that here:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=99995

The Mobil 1 that just came out is the second batch that has been in the diff since my 4.44 gear swap. I have logged 4000 KMs (2500 miles) over 4 months on it with mostly city driving spanning both winter and summer.
Here is what the new Mobil 1 and old Mobil 1 looks like, along with what the magnetic drain plug looks like:

Note the "slurry" stuck to the drain plug. I consider this to be quite normal.
Now see the drain plug after it's been wiped off:

Just got the analysis back on the Mobil 1 fluid:

Hopefully, you can see the numbers, but the important thing to me is that all critical assessments are "NORMAL". This is good for me as the car is supercharged and I have been known to "launch" from time to time.

More to follow.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:16 PM

This post is actually done on Sept. 14th. I put it here so you can compare with the first results more easily. It is duplicated on page 4 of the thread.
Well, finally put on 4000 KMs since the Redline went in. This is the same interval as for the Mobil 1. This time, was a fair bit of highway driving, along with several rolling clutch dumps and some spirited driving.
Here's the "wine glass" comparison. The red color makes it hard to see if the "old" fluid (on the left) is that much dirtier than the new stuff (on the right). It is a bit darker. (Sorry, the camera seemed to focus on the background on this one.)

Drain bolt before wiping off (a similar amount of "fuzzing" as with the Mobil 1):

Now the "smear test":

There may have been a slightly bit LESS fuzzing on the drain bolt with the Redline (but this may be attributed to the highway driving - less stressful).

The analysis will be sent tomorrow. Results in a week or two.
I've now gone back to Mobil 1 in readiness for winter.

Sept. 26/03:
The Redline SP oil analysis just came back as follows (you may have to click each pic and choose a larger size to see the numbers):

For ease of comparing, here is the Mobil 1 data sheet again:

Although both fluids were used for the same amount of miles and under similar driving conditions, the Redline analysis indicated that there is noticeable wear and that the fluid was no longer serviceable. For my type of driving, I will stick with Mobil 1.
Old 08-05-2003, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just changed my diff with 7K miles with Redline Gear oil. What's "shockproof?"
Old 08-05-2003, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://marketplace.s2ki.com/s2ki/customer/...3&cat=24&page=1

The marketing people say
[QUOTE]
Red Line Synthetic ShockProof TM Gear Oil provides unequalled protection for high-performance differentials and transmissions which are heavily loaded or which see shock-loading. This revolutionary lubricant is completely different from conventional lubricant technology in several ways. The viscosity characteristics are significantly improved. Gear teeth need high viscosity at high temperatures to prevent metal-to-metal contact and a low viscosity when cold to reduce fluid friction. The ShockProofTM chemistry significantly reduces the thinning effect of high-temperatures.
Old 08-05-2003, 05:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Xviper, after seeing the Mobil1 after 2500 miles, I feel that I need to change my Mobil1, now. It hasn't been in the differential 15,000 miles yet, but I'll bet it's really black by now.
Old 08-05-2003, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by boiler
Xviper, after seeing the Mobil1 after 2500 miles, I feel that I need to change my Mobil1, now. It hasn't been in the differential 15,000 miles yet, but I'll bet it's really black by now.
I don't doubt it one bit, however, I'm not sure that it being black like that is all that bad for the diff. I just do the change every year 'cause it makes me feel good about the way I take care of the diff.

Oh and "RARE M5", here's what the bottle looks like:

Old 08-05-2003, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by boiler
Boiler, I don't pretend to be an expert, so I may be wrong. But there is nothign wrong with oil being black. It is supposed to be. You could change your oil every 500 miles and it will still be black. That's what it does. Obviously, since XViper last changed his diff oil 2500 miles ago, it has turned black in less time than that. Common sense tells us that you do not need to change diff oil more often than every 2500 miles.

That being said, I am a bit of a fastidious about maintenence myself, and although I make diff oil/ tranny oil changes every 30k, 15k does not sound unreasonable, especially if the car is tracked.

Old 08-05-2003, 05:41 PM

Please don't misunderstand my intentions. I would never have changed out my diff fluid at this time. I only did it so I could begin my evaluation of the Redline fluid as per krazik's request. I shall also dump the Redline after about 2500 miles so the comparison can be more valid.
Old 08-05-2003, 06:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice presentation with the wine glasses

I love Redline Shockproof. Mostly for subjective reasons, like smoother running, improved lockup (which I can't explain on a gear type LSD), etc.

I've run the heavy duty and the lightweight. Both work well, but the lightweight seemed to "go away" quicker. Its heavyweight only for me now. Didn't know the store carried it. Guess I'll be shopping there now.

UL
Old 08-05-2003, 06:21 PM

Originally posted by ultimate lurker
Nice presentation with the wine glasses
My wife insisted. She wouldn't let me use brand new sperm specimen cups.

Quick Reply: Differential Fluid comparison and analysis - old vs new, Mobil 1 vs Redline.