S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Mac's Project #2: Upgraded instrument cluster, no need for colored filters

Old 07-07-2003, 01:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MacGyver's Project #2 -- Instrument Cluster Upgrade

The feedback I receive on this thread is VERY important to the final design, so please be brutally honest and don't be shy with ANY and ALL ideas. This one has been sitting on the drawing board in my head ever since Randy first posted his thoughts on changing the cluster color with acetate filters. Now that I've tackled a number of other fun projects, I have started experimenting with components for the next idea.

Q: OK, now that I have your attention, you're starting to ask "What is it, Mac?"
A: In short, it will replace the illumination board hiding behind the instrument cluster.

Q: Does everyone need this?
A: Definitely not. But I'm sure a lot of people really WANT it

Q: So what is it for?
A: In the never-ending quest to modify our cars, quite a few have expressed interest in changing the color of their dash display. Some have tried colored acetate filters with limited success due to low light levels reducing readability during daylight hours. Electro-luminescent (EL) sheets have been used as backlights in an attempt to mitigate this problem, again with limited success. More recent attempts have used high-intensity white LEDs in place of the stock incandescent bulbs...I personally give that one a since I feel it is a good step in the right direction, and certainly a workable solution.

Q: Why is this one better?
A: I will point out right from the start that the white LED and colored acetate combined solution is the correct way to go for some people...they're not interested in anything other than a simple color change. However, for those who want a more flexible solution (mainly ME!), this may be more suitable.

Q: So what does it offer?
A: This will depend heavily upon your feedback within this thread, but let me tell you some of my ideas. First, I'd like to remove the necessity of inserting colored filters into the dash anymore as the color would be provided directly by the LEDs. Second, the instrument cluster will be split into several distinct "zones", each having an independently variable color. Third (and I really think this is a cool one), the colors can be modified based upon some outside influence...a prime example would be a deep blue tachometer that changes to bright red whenever the VTEC cams kick in.

1) I need to know how many "zones" you would like to see the cluster split into. Each zone will have an independently variable color, so your speedometer could be a different color than your gas gauge, for instance. I have identified 5 main zones that I feel work quite well...tachometer, speedometer, odometer, gas gauge, and temp gauge. Be aware, however, that an increased number of zones means more programming time, and if there are too many (I considered making the tachometer several zones, at first) then it becomes difficult for me to actually make it.

2) Some discussion has been made in the past about the redline area. While it would be more flexible to have the redline section of the tach (as well as the near-empty portion of the gas gauge or the high-temp region of the temp gauge) adjustable in color as well, this would mean adding in an extra zone for every one that is adjustable (please see comments in 1 above). A couple of options present themselves if the extra zone idea is thrown out. First, the redline sections (high-temp region and low-gas region) could be considered part of their respective zone and therefore will always be the color selected for that zone...easier, but not as attention getting. Second, the redline portions could be lit strictly with red LEDs...attention getting, but not variable. Your choice, but I need some sort of consensus.

3) The dummy lights...what to do with them...two options, leave them stock, or rip them out and replace them with more LEDs. Option one is cheaper, but option two is more flexible. <shrug> My first instinct will be to leave them stock for simplicity...you don't see them often enough to worry about the extra expense of replacing them, and since they're rarely lit they won't clash with whatever color scheme chosen.

4) Damn, I had another idea but I'm drawing a blank now. Feel free to fill in the blank for me.

The floor is open...

Edit 09/01/08 : I know more now than when I started this thread four years ago, and I have parts on hand to play with, which should make the design much easier Pricing information removed, as component prices have dopped significantly since I started this four years ago, and this has become a pet project (and I want to avoid commercial posts).

keywords : MacGyver instrument cluster dash upgrade
Old 07-07-2003, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MacGyver
[B]MacGyver's Project #2 -- Instrument Cluster Upgrade

1) First and foremost on most people's minds, the price.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:52 PM

I pretty much agree with AustinS2K2003. The price is something you have to say, this is a one off and never been done so it will cost but it's well worth it, I'll pay it. The RPM changing when going into VTEC is a kick a$$ idea, I would definitly pop for that option. The zones would be like AustinS2K2003 said, one for the tach, speed and the rest as the third. The warning lights just leave stock. I wish you best of luck with this new venture and hope to see it to production.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:05 PM

3 zones seems reasonable, if everyone else is in agreement.

I'll try to mention potential options as I come up with them. One I've been thinking about is a continually variable tach. You would first choose a color scheme, say red. The tach starts out as yellow...as the rpms climb, the shade of the tach slowly morphs from yellow to orange to red, etc. Not necessarily big jumps, although that could be an option, but a slowly varying change as the rpms climb. Maybe a blue scheme would start at deep blue and slowly shift shade to a light purple as the rpms climb. Just an idea...

The speedo could also be modified in the same manner. It may even look better for the speedo if it did a hard color change at certain speed points...green at 0-65, yellow at 66-99, and red at 100+.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by AustinS2k2003

I'd pay $500 but man it'd have to be amazing!

the speedometer as one, the tach as the other and the rest as the third
Old 07-07-2003, 02:13 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MacGyver
[B]3 zones seems reasonable, if everyone else is in agreement.

I'll try to mention potential options as I come up with them.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by Darksyde
Just when I thought you had a good idea going, you go and take it to the next level.
Wait until you see Project #3
Old 07-07-2003, 02:34 PM

this thing sounds really nice. Can you draw up some kind of visualization of what it would look like.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mac, you rule! I'm almost happy with just the blue filters. If it solves the top-down direct sunlight problem, then I'd be in for whatever you decide to do. Whatever keeps the design simple and effective is fine by me.
Old 07-07-2003, 03:04 PM

Here's a thought..... How about better variation of brightness than the stock? One pet peeve of mine of the stock unit is when I turn on my lights during the day (maybe due to rain, etc.), I can barely see the display without having to reach through my steering wheel and hold the "+" button for a few seconds. If I could, I would make the default brightness of the display brighter when the lights are on. Just my $0.02.

Quick Reply: Mac's Project #2: Upgraded instrument cluster, no need for colored filters