S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Cleaning your engine??

Old 02-25-2003, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning your engine??

How do you go about cleaning your engine? I'm trying to figure out if steam cleaning the F20c is appropriate with all the computer components in the bay. Any help would be very appreciated!
Old 02-25-2003, 07:47 AM

After washing my car I just take a damp towel and wipe everything down. My engine has stayed spotless by doing this.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

as one of the last steps of the wash or detail process, i take a soft towel to dry the inside of the doors, trunk, undercar, and under the hood. that makes a damp towel which use to wipe off all engine components (like william mentioned)...
so far i have not had to use any cleaning solution on any engine part.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:33 AM

My problem is (relating to an earlier thread) that Jiffy Lube didn't put the oil cap on tight enough and oil leaked out on the engine. I would really like to clean it up professionally (as they said they will pay) but I don't know how it should be done... or if I should just hand clean it on my own (not sure what to use though).

Once again, thank you for any comments!
Old 02-25-2003, 03:24 PM

Not trying to be a wise guy, but why would you go to Jiffy lube? Your car deserves better!! Most people don't even trust Honda dealers, let alone some grease monkey.
Old 02-25-2003, 04:39 PM

Well, this winter has been terrible on the east coast and I wasn't about to go out and lay on the ground on the cement. I needed an oil change and didn't have time to schedule. I figured all they do is oil changes....they should at least do those well.... Plus I had gone to them a few times in Nebraska with no problem...

Not again....trust me on that one....

Originally posted by sireousrex
Not trying to be a wise guy, but why would you go to Jiffy lube? Your car deserves better!! Most people don't even trust Honda dealers, let alone some grease monkey.
Old 02-25-2003, 04:44 PM

Yeah, this winter has sucked, heck it still is sucking. Good luck with your cleaning.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:42 PM

do a search. A NSX owner showed me a really nice way to clean the engine bay. This made my engine bay look brand new. It's very time consuming.

You need two things. Gunk Foamy engite brite and Foamy Armor All for tires. They have to be the FOAMY version or else it might now work.

Wait for the engine to cool down. First spray the entire bay with the Gunk engine brite. Spray everywhere you can and let it sit for 5 mintues. Rinse with a hose with med/high pressure.

Wait 5 more minutes and spray the entire engine with the Foamy Armor All for tires. Next crank up the car, close the hood and let the engine run for 15 minutes. This will dry up the armor all and allow it to soak in, open the hood and smile.

I couldn't believe how clean my engine was after that. Only scary part was spraying the engine without covering anything up. I had no problems.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:38 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kwando
[B]do a search.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:49 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by S2KXTC
My problem is (relating to an earlier thread) that Jiffy Lube didn't put the oil cap on tight enough and oil leaked out on the engine.
Something to check: It may not be that they couldn't get it tight enough. It doesn't take that much to have the oil cap stay on. They may have, in fact, mis-aligned or totally lost the plastic ring inside the cap. This has been noted before. If the ring is not perfectly seated, the cap will never seal no matter how hard you screw it down. If the ring fell out when they were doing the job, you can screw it down till the threads strip and it still won't seal. OR, it fell out and they put it in up-side-down. It only goes in one way.
I've been known to spray "Simple Green" or Engine "Gunk" in the really dirt, oily places (haven't needed to use it yet on the S), then hook up my garden hose (with nozzle) to my basement hot water tap and spray the engine compartment. Lightly over the areas where the wiring harnesses are and more forceful where they aren't. For me, this works good.

Quick Reply: Cleaning your engine??