S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Can I Bake My Taillights in an Oven???

Old 03-31-2003, 12:37 AM

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Can I Bake My Taillights in an Oven???

Well, I'm not really expecting many answers on this one, but if you have an opinion, feel free.

I've only seen painted taillights on three S2000s. One White (from Japan), one Sebring by Dewain27, and one Suzuka done recently by rateds2k. I think Shaner attempted it, but aborted after breakage.

I know Dewain27 used a heat gun, and I don't know how rateds2k did his, but I will pm both of them and ask if they have an opinion on the oven technique.

The oven technique worked very well for my headlights, and so I would like to try it again. I believe it is superior to the heat gun method, because the oven provides even heating to the entire seal. I also have a heat gun for back up.

I've heard that the taillights are thinner plastic, and are easy to break. What I want to know is if they are easy to melt. I hope I don't find out!!!

I probably will use the oven, and start out no higher than 200 F degrees. I think 225 F is the right temperature, though. (The lowest setting on the heat gun is 220 F degrees.)

There's a chance I may attempt this on Wednesday, but it's not for sure.

-Pete
Old 03-31-2003, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have any pics of Dewain27's car? By the way I take back what i said about your headlights. They've really grown on me and your car is just ridiculously cool!
Old 03-31-2003, 04:28 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you can, and Shaner did. The only problem is the tailights are much more sensitive to pressure then the headlights. It is damn near impossible to open them without breaking it.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:33 AM

This is just something I came up with - I'm not going to paint my taillights because my car is black and the match is close enough, however, if you can make some kind of rig with a bunch of suction cups that can distribute force over a good portion of the lens, you should be able to pull the two pieces apart without cracking the plastic lens.

Let me know how you make out.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:44 AM

Originally posted by Stale_Hotdog
Do you have any pics of Dewain27's car? By the way I take back what i said about your headlights. They've really grown on me and your car is just ridiculously cool!
Thanks. They really look a lot better in person, and in the right light.

I do have pics of Dewain27's car somewhere. I'll try to find them and add them to the thread.

-Pete
Old 04-01-2003, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by Kodokan_4
I don't know how rateds2k did his, but I will pm both of them and ask if they have an opinion on the oven technique.
OH CRAP!!!

Here's a copy of the PM that I received from rateds2k:

"I used the oven to do mine. It did not work well. I had to set it to 275 and the plastic was starting to melt. Honda must have used different sealant for the taillights. When I finally got them to open at a corner I discovered that the clear plastic went 1/2" to 1" into the black casing. I ended up breaking both the taillights. The clear part is very fragile. I got another set of lights and cut the casing off of the clear part. I then put the two together and had one taillight. It took about 2 hours and 10 bakings to get the clearpart off from the casing. In contrast, I took apart the headlights in one baking at 225 and 5 mins max. They just fell apart."

Is this what I'm in for??? I may try this tomorrow!

-Pete
Old 04-01-2003, 03:14 PM

Old 04-01-2003, 03:42 PM

Got any pictures so I could see why one would want to paint their headlights or tail lights?

David
Old 04-01-2003, 03:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kodokan_4
[B]

OH CRAP!!!

Is this what I'm in for???
Old 04-01-2003, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by almilli
Got any pictures so I could see why one would want to paint their headlights or tail lights?

David
I will try to find my pics of the sebring and the white later tonight. Heres a Suzuka Blue by rateds2k:

I've posted too many pics of my headlights already, but here you go:

-Pete

Quick Reply: Can I Bake My Taillights in an Oven???